EM Stud has outgrown its humble beginnings and is starting a new chapter as EM Stud-now brought to you by the Clerkship Directors in Emergency Medicine (CDEM), an academy of SAEM.
Meet our new cohost, Dr. Scott Wieters, in this episode.
Also, I am updating my twitter handle, so if you’d like to follow me, Dr. N8, you can find me at
Being an emergency physician is a tough job, and like many other stressful occupations, it can wear you down. Burnout is a very real risk in EM, but acknowledging the risk, looking for early signs, and using strategies to increase your resiliency can help you stay productive, optimistic, and satisfied with your career.
Further Reading and References
Physician Burnout: It Just Keeps Getting Worse – Medscape
Emergentology: Burnout: It’s All about Weird Hours, Challenging Patients, and High Stress – EM News
Job burnout: How to spot it and take action – Mayo Clinic
Avoid Burnout by Managing Your Stress – ACEP
- Shanafelt TD, Boone S, Tan L, et al. Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(18):1377-85.
- Goldberg R, Boss RW, Chan L, et al. Burnout and its correlates in emergency physicians: four years’ experience with a wellness booth. Acad Emerg Med. 1996;3(12):1156-64.
- Kuhn G, Goldberg R, Compton S. Tolerance for uncertainty, burnout, and satisfaction with the career of emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;54(1):106-113.e6.
- Prins JT, Gazendam-donofrio SM, Tubben BJ, Van der heijden FM, Van de wiel HB, Hoekstra-weebers JE. Burnout in medical residents: a review. Med Educ. 2007;41(8):788-800.
- Kimo takayesu J, Ramoska EA, Clark TR, et al. Factors associated with burnout during emergency medicine residency. Acad Emerg Med. 2014;21(9):1031-5.
- Schmitz GR, Clark M, Heron S, et al. Strategies for coping with stress in emergency medicine: Early education is vital. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2012;5(1):64-9.
Photo: Chris Bentley via Compfight
Considering EM and want to know if it’s right for you? I don’t have a definite yes or no answer for you–in fact, I may not have a definite yes or no answer to anything…
Original release date: Oct 30, 2014
Photo Credit: Pavel P. via Compfight
EM Stud Pilot Episode
Original release date: Oct 1, 2014