New series on EM Stud: What I Want To Be When I Grow Up
Being an emergency physician isn’t always just about working shifts in the ED. For some, it’s about exploring new niches and specializing in areas outside of the conventional clinical realm.
To kick off our new series, we invited Dr. Kyle Marshall, clinical informatics fellow at Geisinger Health System, to clue us in on what it means to be an informatician.
Emergency Medicine Pharmacists are our allies in the ED. They help us prescribe the right therapies, reduce medication errors, and provide the best possible care for our patients. So get to know your ED pharmacist and tell them thanks for all that they do. (And thanks to our own for sharing her thoughts with us on this podcast!)
Interested in more Pharm FOAM? Check out these links…
Pharm FOAM on #FOAMedstudent
Emergency Medicine PharmD
And of course, tons of great pharmacy resources at ALiEM
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ASHP statement on pharmacy services to the emergency department. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2008; 65:2380–3.
- Eppert HD, Reznek AJ. ASHP guidelines on emergency medicine pharmacist services. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011;68(23):e81-95.
- Ernst AA, Weiss SJ, Sullivan A, et al. On-site pharmacists in the ED improve medical errors. Am J Emerg Med. 2012;30(5):717-25.
- Cesarz JL, Steffenhagen AL, Svenson J, Hamedani AG. Emergency department discharge prescription interventions by emergency medicine pharmacists. Ann Emerg Med. 2013;61(2):209-14.e1.
- Rothschild JM, Churchill W, Erickson A, et al. Medication errors recovered by emergency department pharmacists. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;55(6):513-21.
- Patanwala AE, Sanders AB, Thomas MC, et al. A prospective, multicenter study of pharmacist activities resulting in medication error interception in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;59(5):369-73.
Learn more about ultrasound in the ED from Dr. David Evans, Ultrasound Fellowship Director at VCU. And for a list of EUS fellowships in the U.S., click here.
Another great resource: Ultrasound Guide for Emergency Physicians